Do you cover cryptocurrency scams?
No, our identity theft expense coverage does not reimburse cryptocurrency scams, as it’s not recognized as a legal tender. That’s why it’s one of the fastest growing cyber threats today, because criminals exploit the lack of regulation.
If you believe you are the victim of a cryptocurrency scam, we recommend you:
- Report the crime to the FTC here
- File a complaint with the FBI here
- File a complaint with the Commodity Futures Trading Commission here
- Submit a tip with the Securities and Exchange Commission here
- Report the fraud to the company you use to send cryptocurrency (this is usually done online)
- Be careful about recovery scams
To learn more about cryptocurrency scams, check out the FTC’s consumer advice page here